Thursday, July 29, 2010

Progress

I see it's been a while since my last post. I guess it means I'm feeling better, doing more away from the computer. Summer is always a busy time. My children are home and there are lots of distractions. I'm happy to say that I feel the good days are starting to outweigh the bad, as I continue along with the same protocol with my current LLMD. I am still taking large doses of antibiotics on a daily basis, and at my last appointment, an antimalarial was added in (again). The theory in Lyme treatment suggests that remaining symptoms after long term treatment, are probably due to Babesia still hovering around. Babesia is a malaria like disease treated with different meds, which overlap with the antibiotics.

Fatique is abundant later in the day, sometimes insomnia, some new joint pain has arisen, and every few weeks a herxheimer reaction kicks in causing the cranial nerve to go full throttle, body aches, head and neck pressure which lands me in bed for a day, but seems to pass after a couple of days.

I have been doing Yoga a few times a week in addition to walking and doing some weight work. I really am a Yoga believer now. I think it's good for the human body in a myriad of ways.

I had an IV Glutathione infusion yesterday at the doctor's office. I met an older couple in the waiting room. Their 36 year old daughter was in with the doctor. It was her first appt. I've met older parents like this before in this journey. The daughter was married and her husband is leaving her because she "isn't able to do anything anymore". Her parents told me she has been sick for at least 4 years, was a teacher, now on disability, lives in the south with her dog, while they (her parents) live here, in NY. She had flown up for this appt. They asked about my situation as we waited. I explained my story, which is much like the other stories of patients they had been talking to in the waiting area. Lyme patients, who go misdiagnosed pretty much all have the same plight. Isolation, financial strain, and above all the slap in the face Chronic Lyme Disease is not recognized by the mainstream medical community, and has hence allowed them to walk around getting sicker and sicker by the day.

This family was in a state of shock, heartbroken and worried about their daughter, anxious to hear that there might be hope for her. When she came out of the inner office I saw a reflection of myself 3 years ago. She was grey, and thin. I could see she was having trouble with light sensivity, and cognitive problems as she attempted to check out, and pay. I saw her credit card slide across the counter to the receptioninst, and thought to myself...."well she is on board the train now..get ready to see that credit card balance go up in a serious way." She was shakey and worn out, and I knew what it felt like to be on the other side of that face. It's a feeling I don't think I'll ever forget.

I spoke with her for a little while, and tried to assure her that this doctor is probably the best at treating this disease, and she is in good hands. She was thankful and relieved to feel some comfort, as were her parents, desperate to help their daughter get better.

Today I am grateful, that I have come as far as I have in the treatment process. I was that young lady not long ago, hoping that there was a doctor out there who could help me. Trying to remain positive as my life was falling apart around me. In many ways, wishing my life would be over, so the rest of my family could move on.

I do feel there is hope for me now. I'm sure that I'll be treating this the rest of my life....as I have just had it too long. But that's ok. As long as I can function and have some sort of pleasure in life, I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

The other patient in the waiting room had been in treatment for 8 years, and lost all ablity to use his left arm. 30 years old and Lyme Disease has damaged so much nerve in his arm he may never be able to use it again.

The insanity of this disease just boggles the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment